Botanical Medicine in La Canada Flintridge, CA
Botanical medicine, also known as phytomedicine, herbal medicine or herbalism, is the medicinal use of plants and plant extracts taken orally or applied to the skin. Historically, this medical system was used as a way to facilitate healing long before traditional medicine as we know it today came into existence. From minor skin irritations to major chronic disease, the use of plants as medical remedies has been recorded over the past several centuries in many ancient cultures such as China, Egypt, Rome and Greece, as well as among Native Americans.
Botanical medicine focuses on using the natural health and wellness properties found in plant leaves, stems, berries, bark and flowers as a means to enhance your quality of life. These items are also an alternative way to combat some health conditions and ailments because of their unique ability to help address the underlying cause of disease and restore balance to the body.
Botanical medicine is most often presented in the form of dietary supplements, extracts, powders, capsules or tablets, and may be recommended to you by your healthcare professional as a part of your treatment plan to proactively maintain your immune system's strength. As a natural option, it can aid you in achieving an optimal quality of life safely and effectively, and is sometimes deemed an alternative to traditional pharmaceutical options.
Get started with a botanical medicine specialist in La Canada Flintridge. Call (213) 814-0504 or contact Stephanie Wolff online.
Botanical Medicine Uses
Since botanical medicine has been a part of many ancient cultures, it is no wonder that it has also been adopted by many other popular medical modalities as part of their treatment arsenal.
- Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) promotes balance and harmony within your body's natural abilities to maintain a positive quality of life by cultivating health, wellbeing and longevity, as opposed to western medicine which tends to focus more on using medicine as a way to fight against illness and disease.
- Aromatherapy uses essential oils found in natural elements such as flowers, bark, stems, leaves and roots as a means of enhancing physical and psychological wellbeing. When these natural elements are inhaled or applied to the skin, they can then travel throughout the body and help to promote healing.
- Ayurveda is also rooted in the philosophy of promoting good health rather than fighting disease, and that a desirable quality of life is achieved when you experience balance and harmony in mind, body and spirit. Herbs are used by an Ayurveda healthcare provider with a very precise understanding surrounding human physiology, biochemistry, and psychology, and how those herbs can promote balance and harmony within your body.
While the list of botanicals used medicinally is extensive, a few common herbs and their uses include:
|Aloe||Burns, skin irritants|
|Arnica||Sore muscles and joints|
|Chamomile||Gastrointestinal health, stress support|
|Cranberry||Urinary tract infections|
|Ginkgo biloba||Proper circulation, memory|
|Ginseng||Energy, immune health|
|Kava kava||Mood, sleep support|
|Milk Thistle||Liver support|
|Saw Palmetto||Prostate health, menopause support|
|St. John’s Wort||Mood, proper circulation|
What to Look for in Botanical Medicine Products
A few basic things to consider when exploring which botanical medicine brands may be of the best quality are:
- Herbs that are cultivated organically
- Herbs free of pesticides, heavy metals and other contaminants
- Trusted brands recommended by your healthcare provider
It's always best to talk to your healthcare provider about botanical medicine and the options and dosages that may work the best for you. Botanical medicine, when used in conjunction with positive lifestyle modifications like a healthy diet, regular physical activity and stress management techniques, can have a profound effect on your current health status.
Request more information about botanical medicine today. Call (213) 814-0504 or contact Stephanie Wolff online.
Novus Anti-Aging Center
Address11650 Riverside Dr
Studio City, CA 91602
9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tue: 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wed: 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thu: 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri: 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sat: By Appointment Only