Meditation for Your Health in Midland Park, NJ
Dating back to the 15th century BCE, meditation is believed to have originated in India, before spreading to neighboring countries and eventually forming as part of many religions throughout the world. In the last few decades, meditation has evolved into a structured practice. Its recent popularity and integration into the workplace is a sign of its benefits. Now a widely accepted treatment, meditation is recommended for its positive effects on mental and physical health and for its integrative quality as a mind and body practice.
There are two commonly used forms of meditation: concentrative and mindful. Concentrative meditation, or transcendental meditation, focuses on a single image, sound or mantra or even your own breathing pattern. Mindful meditation does not concentrate on a single purpose, but rather promotes an overall sense of awareness, including any thoughts, images, sounds and feelings that enter your mind. The main benefit of meditation is the reduction of stress, which leads to the prevention of several other illnesses, for which stress is the catalyst. Meditation can even be used to ease chronic pain, stress, depression and anxiety, support cardiovascular health, boost mood and immunity and resolve issues associated with pregnancy. Meditation is a skill that needs to be developed. Through practice, individuals can achieve the ability to enter into meditative states with ease, and even become more relaxed in everyday life.
To schedule a consultation with a qualified provider Midland Park that specializes in meditation for your health and mindfulness techniques, call (201) 806-6099 or contact Dr. M.T. Shahab online.
What Meditation Treats
Science has shown us that meditation may be used to help rebuild and promote health when it comes to a number of troubling health conditions. These include:
- Respiratory issues
- Mental health
- Cardiovascular health
- Sleep disturbances
- PMS and menopause
One of the best qualities of meditation is that it's a safe, side-effect free form of alternative treatment that cultivates mindfulness and active attention to the present, free of judgement.
Benefits of Meditation
Meditation can boost your health, happiness and social life. It's been shown to actively change your brain chemistry for the better by increasing grey matter and cortical thickness in areas related to concentration. It also increases volume in areas related to emotional regulation. Some of the many benefits of meditation include:
- Cognition - Can increase grey matter, aiding in focus and memory retention
- Social Life - Increases compassion and empathy, makes you more attune to social cues and can decrease loneliness
- Productivity - Improves ability to multitask and creative-thinking and problem-solving skills
- Mental Health - Increases positive emotion, decreases negative and anxious thoughts, regulates and reduces stress and helps you sleep more regularly
- Physical Health - Increases immune functionality, decreases pain and promotes balanced inflammation in cells that can lead to serious health concerns
Tips For Meditation
- Sit Comfortably - It’s important to get in a position that’s easy for you to maintain, so as to avoid unnecessary distractions
- Find a Quiet Environment - It’s easier to meditate when you’re not distracted by background noise
- Close Your Eyes - Often the first step to clearing your mind
- Breathe Naturally - Instead of making an effort to control or regulate your breath, let yourself breath naturally without force
- Go Gradually - Maintain the practice for a few minutes to start, and gradually progress to longer meditative sessions
Meditation can help you manage your life. Though it may seem challenging to clear your mind initially, don't worry too much. You'll be surprised by how well you feel after and throughout the course of the day. The health benefits of meditation are quite restorative and can actually last a lifetime. Why not try meditation for your health?
Talk to your healthcare provider about alternative and complementary medical options for your health conditions. Request more information about meditation for your health today. Call (201) 806-6099 or contact Dr. M.T. Shahab online.
Medwell Orthopedics & Functional Medicine for Men & Women
Address33 Central Ave
Midland Park, NJ 07432
8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Tue: 2:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 6:30 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 6:30 pm
Sat: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Sun: By Appointment Only