Fibromyalgia Natural Treatment in Belleair Beach, FL
What Is Fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain, fatigue, depression, and sleep disturbances, along with additional mental and physical symptoms that vary per individual. The cause of fibromyalgia is unknown; however, genetics, physical or emotional trauma, certain infections, and autoimmune conditions are thought to increase the likelihood of developing the condition.
If you are suffering from fibromyalgia, you may find your quality of life is impacted significantly, and struggle with high health care costs, productivity loss, and a decrease in daily functioning. Fortunately, fibromyalgia natural treatment is available to target your symptoms without creating a dependence on prescription medication.
To schedule a consultation with a healthcare practitioner in Belleair Beach who specializes in natural remedies for fibromyalgia, call (727) 826-0838 or contact Dr. Tracie Leonhardt online.
Fibromyalgia symptoms and their severity vary person to person. The most common symptom of fibromyalgia is widespread pain in the muscles, joints, and connective tissue. Other symptoms which can severely impact your daily functioning include:
- Chronic fatigue
- Sleep disturbances
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Irregular menstrual cycles
- Difficulty concentrating
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Hypersensitivity to various stimuli such as bright lights, noise, or odors
- Urinary frequency or urgency
- Burning or tingling sensation in the extremities
The pain associated with fibromyalgia cannot be diagnosed through laboratory tests or X-rays. Many individuals with fibromyalgia often have to see a number of healthcare providers before a proper diagnosis can be made. Several symptoms of fibromyalgia overlap with other chronic health conditions, such as chronic fatigue syndrome , making it even more difficult to diagnose.
In order to properly diagnose fibromyalgia, your healthcare practitioner has to rely solely on a group of symptoms. According to the American College of Rheumatology guidelines for diagnosing fibromyalgia, one of the criteria is widespread pain throughout your body for at least three months. 'Widespread' is defined as pain on both sides of the body, as well as above and below the waist. Other criteria your practitioner may look for include the presence of other symptoms typical with fibromyalgia and the absence of other conditions that may also cause these symptoms.
Traditional Fibromyalgia Treatment
Conventional therapy for fibromyalgia includes medications such as muscle relaxants, anti-inflammatory drugs, antidepressants, pain relievers, and hypnotics. Additional treatment modalities often include stress management and trigger point injections.
The response to conventional treatment is often unsatisfactory, and long-term medication use is often coupled with unfavorable side effects. In a majority of cases, individuals with this condition often suffer from chronic poor health despite conventional treatment efforts.
Natural Treatment for Fibromyalgia Pain
Natural treatment for fibromyalgia pain helps treat the underlying biochemical imbalances that contribute to poor metabolic health and decreased cellular function. Natural treatment options include dietary modifications and targeted nutritional supplements to help reduce pain and inflammation, increase energy, and improve mood.
Fibromyalgia Natural Treatment Diet
Dietary changes can often help individuals to improve their energy levels, experience fewer aches and pains and improve their mood. Food allergies can also be an exacerbating factor. Blood testing for food sensitivities and removing any foods that test positive can help reduce inflammation and support the body's immune system.
Beneficial dietary changes include emphasis on a whole foods based diet that is high in vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, legumes, and dark leafy greens. Avoiding refined sugar and carbohydrates, fast foods, processed foods, and food additives such as monosodium glutamate, caffeine, and alcohol is crucial to minimizing toxins that can cause harm to the body.
Additional dietary recommendations include:
- Consuming at least 8 cups of purified water per day
- Consuming essential omega-3 fatty acids found in walnuts, flaxseeds, hemp seeds, and cold-water fish such as salmon, mackerel, tuna, cod, and sardines
- Increasing antioxidant intake; antioxidants are found in colorful fruits and vegetables
- Increasing fiber intake found in vegetables, whole grains, and beans to help eliminate toxins from the intestines and prevent toxin absorption into the body
- Avoiding gluten; gluten can trigger autoimmune conditions and inflammation in the body
- Cooking with healthy oils such as olive or coconut oil
- Consuming fermented foods such a cultured yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut and miso; cultured foods help increase the level of good bacteria in the gut
Natural Supplements For Fibromyalgia Pain
The following nutritional supplements have been shown to be helpful for improving fibromyalgia:
- Magnesium: Research studies have shown that many patients with fibromyalgia have a deficiency in magnesium . Magnesium, particularly the magnesium malate form, has been shown to significantly improve symptoms associated with fibromyalgia.
- B complex vitamins: B complex vitamins can help increase cellular function which is vital for improving energy and mood.
- 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP): 5-HTP is an amino acid intermediate that is a precursor to the brain chemical serotonin. Supplementing with 5-HTP can help reduce pain, improve mood, and help regulate the sleep cycle.
- Acetyl-L-carnitine (ALC): ALC is an amino acid that helps improve cellular energy production.
- Omega-3 fish oil : Fish oil can help to balance inflammation and improve brain function.
- Vitamin D: Musculoskeletal pain often occurs secondary to a vitamin D deficiency . Testing blood levels of vitamin D and supplementing with a vitamin D3 supplement, if a deficiency is present, is crucial to treating symptoms of fibromyalgia.
- Intravenous nutrient therapy: IV therapy of vitamins such as the Myers’ cocktail has been shown to improve fibromyalgia symptoms.
Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition that significantly impairs one's mental and physical wellbeing. Many individuals with fibromyalgia often struggle with being improperly diagnosed and undergo multiple pharmaceutical therapies with little-to-no success. Natural treatment for fibromyalgia can help bring balance to the body and address underlying factors that contribute to an increase in pain sensation and inflammation, as well as low energy and mood.
Meet with a practitioner in Belleair Beach who can provide natural treatment for fibromyalgia symptoms. Call (727) 826-0838 or contact Dr. Tracie Leonhardt online.
Peaks of Health Metabolic Medical Center
Address1120 S Belcher Rd
Largo, FL 33771
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tue: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wed: 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm