Abnormal Period Holistic Treatment in Dunedin, FL
One woman’s abnormal period might be another woman’s normal monthly visitor. It’s been said that up to 30% of women have irregular periods during their childbearing years. However, what is considered normal? Believe it or not, there is an official baseline used to determine whether your period is within healthy boundaries. If you sit outside those boundaries however, not to worry, holistic options are available for you.
Two of the usual suspects for irregular periods in women stem from Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and hypothyroidism . Review this handy checklist to see if any of these menstruation symptoms pertain to you:
- Does your period occur more often than every 21 days, or every three weeks?
- Are your periods more than 35 days, or 5 weeks, apart? (Oligomenorrhea)
- Are you skipping three or more periods every year?
- Has your period stopped altogether? (Amenorrhea )
- Is your menstrual flow heavier or lighter than normal? By “heavier,” you should consider it heavy if you are soaking through a sanitary pad or tampon every hour, for two or three hours in a row.
- Are you passing large blood clots? By “large,” are they the size of a quarter? Or larger?
- Do you feel a “flooding sensation,” or an abrupt release of vaginal blood, when you stand up from a sitting position?
- Does your period last more than seven days?
- Do you experience cramping, nausea, vomiting, or pain? (Dysmenorrhea )
- Are you spotting or bleeding outside of your regular menstrual cycle, or after sex?
- Do you have an abnormal or foul-smelling vaginal discharge?
- Are you running a high fever during your period?
- Do you have bouts of irregular periods after having bouts of regular menstrual cycles?
- Have you ever had symptoms of toxic shock syndrome? These symptoms include a 102-degree fever (or higher), vomiting, diarrhea, fainting, or dizziness.
- Do you have sharp pelvic region pain between your menstrual cycles?
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, these exams are commonly performed to rule out other medical issues:
- A pelvic exam, including a pap smear
- Blood test to determine if you’re anemic, or having other medical issues, such as perimenopause or early menopause
- Vaginal cultures, checking for infections
- A pelvic ultrasound, checking for uterine fibroids , polyps or ovarian cysts
- An endometrial biopsy to check for uterine abnormalities, a hormone imbalance or cancerous cells
If your abnormal periods are causing you discomfort, there are number of holistic treatments that may improve your discomfort, or resolve it altogether. Some of these treatments include the following:
- Acupuncture therapy
- Auricular medicine
- Homeopathy/Botanical medicine
- Stress management
- Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy
Abnormal periods are surprisingly not abnormal, it’s a problem many women suffer from every day. If you’re one of the many with abnormal periods, treatment is a little as one click away.
To request more information about abnormal period holistic treatment and book and appointment today. Call (727) 240-3424 or contact Dr. Lisa Maharajh online.
Maharajh Acupuncture & Herb Shoppe
Address5805 Main St
New Port Richey, FL 34652
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tue: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wed: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thu: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri: 10:00 am - 3:00 pm