Holistic Treatment for Migraines in Encino, CA
A migraine is beyond a headache . It’s not even in the same ballpark, the same town or same state, a migraine is debilitating. Sufferers typically experience intense pain , sensitivity to light, sounds and experience nausea. The intense pain may last for a few hours or-for those unfortunate enough-a few days, leaving you incapacitated until the attack runs its course.
Often beginning in childhood, adolescences or early adulthood, there are four main stages of a migraine.
Stages of a Migraine
While no two people are alike, a migraine tends to follow a specific course of stages in all those who suffer from this condition.
Predrome; occurring a few days before the attack are several bodily warning signs of an impending migraine.
- Stiffness in your neck/upper back
- Cravings for food
- Hyperactivity and increased energy
- Excessive yawning
Aura; typically experienced at the start or right before a migraine, the aura is a group of sensory warning signs.
- Seeing flashes of light
- Blind spots in your field of vision
- Seeing shapes
- Arm/leg numbness
- Paresthesia (painful pins & needles sensation)
- Aphasia (speech problems)
If symptoms of an aura last past the attack/pain phase of a migraine or span several days, seek immediate medical attention as this can be a sign of an impending stroke .
Attack; lasting several hours to three days or more, this is the migraine itself. Often presenting with:
- Pain on one-or both-sides of the head
- Pain that is pulsing or throbbing
- Blurred vision
- Sensitivity to lights and sounds
- Nausea and vomiting; this is caused by a built-in fight-or-flight response your sympathetic nervous system uses in times of emergency. In preparation to fight or flee, digestion is slowed (closing the sphincter that connects the stomach to intestines, dilating the stomach). This can cause nausea or vomiting.
Postdrome; the final stage of a migraine.
- You may feel depleted or have a slight ”high” feeling.
Seek emergency medical care if:
- Your migraine appears abruptly and is severe
- You have a migraine alongside a fever, disorientation, weakness, aphasia, numbness, and/or seizures as these symptoms may signal another severe issue.
Causes of a Migraine
The exact cause of migraines are yet unknown, but many believe genetics play a role as do serotonin levels. Low serotonin levels can have an effect on triggering cranial pain.
Some common migraine triggers include:
- Estrogen level changes; women are far more likely than men to experience migraines (pregnancy, menopause and periods can trigger attacks)
- Food allergies
- Specific foods such as cheese, sodium, MSG, aspartame, alcohol , wine, caffeinated drinks and not eating at all have been reported to trigger a migraine.
- Sleep disturbances (like insomnia )
- Sounds (loud)
- Lights (glaring and bright)
- A change in atmospheric pressure
- Physically demanding activities
- Vasodilators/oral contraceptives
- Food allergies
- Nerve pressure
- Subluxations of vertebra
Avoiding these triggers when possible may help prevent the onset of a migraine.
Holistic Treatment Options for Migraines
While there is no absolute cure for migraines, many of the symptoms can be treated with holistic options including:
- Acupuncture therapy
- Massage therapy
- Auricular medicine
- Stress management
- Nutritional support
- Osteopathic manipulative treatment
- Biofeedback therapy
- Chiropractic care
Migraines are immensely painful and can disrupt your day-to-day life, but holistic treatment options do exist to ease your pain.
Request more information about Holistic Treatment for Migraines today. Call (424) 365-1800 or contact Dr. Jeremy Fischer online.
Vitality Integrative Medicine
Address4849 Van Nuys Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tue: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sat: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm