Holistic Treatment for Better Mental Health in Geneva, IL
Improving your mental health or treating a mental health condition is a very personalized experience; what may work for someone may not be the best treatment option for you. Taking a body first approach, holistic treatment of mental health focuses on the body as a way to treat the mind.
How can treating my body help my mood?
The champions of the holistic treatments believe that if your body is unhealthy, changing negative thought patterns (a core goal in traditional talk therapy) will be even more difficult. As a result, holistic treatment of mental health focuses on diet, sleep patterns, and exercise.
With diet, the aim is balance. Eating a balanced diet has been said to contribute to improved mental health. The elimination of alcohol (a depressant), processed foods and sugar has been said to keep blood sugar levels more constant, keeping mood changes in check and even helping with depression.
The use of herbs and natural cures have also been embraced by the holistic community (Caution: seek professional medical advice before starting any new treatment or using any of the below mentioned herbs/ natural cures; your results may vary.)
- Siberian Ginseng (Eleuthero) has been recommended as a treatment for a wide variety of conditions including Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (AD/HD) and Bipolar Disorder.
- Ashwaghanada is a root characterized by its horse-like odor, has been used to treat mental conditions including anxiety, AD/HD, and insomnia, though little empirical evidence has been yet been collected on Ashwaghanada's effectiveness.
- Astragalus is a root that has been said to control the formation of free-radicles in the body, which have been reported to contribute to poor mental health.
- Burdock is a root that is used to treat mental health condition anorexia.
- American Ginseng is a very popular root used to treat mental health conditions including stress, insomnia, ADHD, fatigue, and even schizophrenia.
Importance of Sleep for Mental Health
The next area of focus is sleep. Good rest, sleep habits have been said to contribute to improved mood and mental health. Establishing a stable rhythm of sleep and rest is a goal of holistic treatment. When you add in exercise—our third area of focus—you get a compelling alternative to traditional talk and medication based mental health treatments.
Exercise has not only been shown to improve mental health with the increased release of serotonin, a chemical responsible for depression when present in low amounts, but also providing a sense of accomplishment. A sense of accomplishment has been said to contribute to better mental health.
Meditation, relaxation exercises, yoga, and Tai Chi have been also recommend as part of holistic treatment. The aim here is to treat the physical manifestation of mental issues, known as somatic symptoms. Some say that many seemingly straightforward physical health problems can trace their cause to mental health issues, breathing problems, pain, even digestive issues.
What if I like both Holistic and Traditional Therapy?
Many people choose what is known as an eclectic or integrated medicine approach. In this model, you chose what works for you, talk therapy like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy (REBT), medications, and holistic options. No two people are alike so selecting a unique combination of treatments that fit your individual needs has been an option that is growing in popularity. Just make sure to consult with a trained medical professional before beginning new and/or cross disciplinary treatment as interactions may occur.
Request more information about Holistic Treatment for Better Mental Health today. Call (847) 243-6262 or contact HealingSpace Medical Center online.
HealingSpace Medical Center
Address2075 Foxfield Rd
St. Charles, IL 60174
7:30 am - 3:30 pm
Tue: 7:30 am - 3:30 pm
Wed: 7:30 am - 3:30 pm
Thu: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm