Natural Insomnia Treatment in San Fernando, CA
Getting an optimal amount of sleep (seven to eight hours) and reaching deep, restorative stages of sleep each night is imperative for long-term health and regeneration. This is because sleep, particularly the deep, slow-wave stages of sleep, plays a major role in your body's healing processes. Sleep helps your brain function optimally, influences your emotional health and plays a role in maintaining a healthy weight, immune health, hormone balance and cardiovascular health.
Insomnia is a common sleep disorder characterized by difficulty falling asleep, staying asleep and reaching the deep restorative stages of sleep that are required to awaken feeling rested and rejuvenated. Over 50 million Americans struggle with insomnia and report it as being a major problem in their lives.
Most people can endure a few sleepless nights without any major repercussions. However, ongoing insomnia can significantly deplete mental and physical reserves and, if left unchecked, can negatively affect one's health.
Many people rely on over-the-counter medications or prescription medications to combat their insomnia. However, long-term use of these medications comes with significant side effects such as liver toxicity. Natural treatment for insomnia is available and offers solutions to many of the underlying causes and imbalances that contribute to sleepless nights.
To schedule a consultation with a healthcare practitioner in San Fernando who specializes in natural insomnia treatment, call (424) 365-1800 or contact Vitality Integrative Medicine online.
Causes of Insomnia
In order to implement natural treatment for insomnia, you must first understand the underlying factors driving your sleeplessness. The most common causes of insomnia include psychological factors such as depression, anxiety and high stress levels. Chronic insomnia (lasting more than 6 months) may be a manifestation of many different health conditions including chronic pain syndromes, fibromyalgia, or restless leg syndrome. Various foods, drinks and medications may also contribute to insomnia.
The following is list of additional underlying factors that can contribute to insomnia:
- Anxiety or tension
- Disruptive or uncomfortable sleep environment
- Sleep apnea
- Alcohol or drugs
- Medications: stimulants, thyroid medications, beta-blockers
- Caffeine, tea, chocolate, caffeinated colas and energy drinks
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
- Increased levels of the stress hormone cortisol
- Low levels of the neurotransmitters serotonin and GABA
- Decreased levels of the sleep hormone melatonin
- Low levels of the hormone progesterone
- Peri- and post-menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes
- Deficiency of the minerals calcium and magnesium
- Exposure to lighting including electronic devices (TV, smart phones, computer) 60 minutes prior to bedtime
- Lack of exposure to natural sunlight during the day
- Poor sleep hygiene (going to bed and waking up at varying times throughout the week)
Natural Ways to Treat Insomnia
Natural and holistic treatment for insomnia begins with examining the underlying factors and imbalances that are contributing to one's insomnia. This includes addressing underlying conditions such as sleep apnea, psychological challenges such as anxiety, hormone imbalances such as elevations in cortisol, as well as dietary, nutrient and neurotransmitter imbalances.
Based on your unique needs, your insomnia natural treatment may include:
- Supplementing with serotonin precursors such as L-tryptophan and 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP)
- Supplementing with GABA
- Supplementing with calcium and magnesium
- Supplementing with melatonin
- Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy , primarily for depleted levels of progesterone
- Reversing blood sugar imbalances with dietary intervention
- Consuming botanical extracts that improve sleep and promote relaxation such as valerian, hops, chamomile, kava and jujube extract
- Soaking in a hot bath mixed with 1-2 cups of Epsom salts for at least 20 minutes in the evening
- Using relaxing aromatherapy oils such as lavender extract
- Using botanicals such as ashwagandha, rhodiola and the supplement phosphatidylserine to lower elevated cortisol levels
- Correcting sleep hygiene habits
- Obtaining exposure to natural sunlight in the morning (for a minimum of 30 minutes) to regulate the sleep/wake cycle
- Exercising (during the day) to promote relaxation and relieve stress
- Stress reducing practices such as meditation and yoga
Many dietary and biochemical imbalances can lead to insomnia. For individuals with chronic insomnia, utilizing a comprehensive approach that helps reestablish sleep-inducing pathways can help restore body's natural sleep/wake cycle.
Working with a healthcare practitioner that can help you pinpoint and address the underlying cause(s) with a holistic and natural treatment plan can get you back on track to obtaining the restorative sleep that is required for optimal mind/body health.
For more information, and to meet with a healthcare provider who can discuss natural ways to help insomnia, call (424) 365-1800 or contact Vitality Integrative Medicine online.
Vitality Integrative Medicine
Address4849 Van Nuys Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tue: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sat: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm