Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Natural Treatment in Studio City, CA
What Is Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a chronic medical condition characterized by various gastrointestinal symptoms and is one of the most common conditions for which people consult a healthcare provider. IBS is considered a "functional" disorder. This term refers to the changes in digestive system function that results in the collection of symptoms referred to as IBS, meaning that it is a problem with the movement (motility) rather than any damage to the tissues of the digestive system.
It has been estimated that at least 15% of the U.S. population suffers from IBS, and women are 1.5 to 2 times more likely to develop IBS than men. If the condition is improperly managed, IBS can have a significant impact on an individual's quality of life.
Until recently, therapy for IBS has focused on symptomatic relief of pain, diarrhea and constipation. The conventional medical treatment of IBS focuses on drugs that primarily suppress symptoms. However, IBS has been attributed to a combination of physiological, psychological and dietary factors. Natural treatment for irritable bowel syndrome includes a much more comprehensive and holistic approach that addresses each of the underlying factors that contribute to the disease.
To schedule a consultation with a healthcare provider in Studio City who specializes in IBS natural treatment, (424) 365-1800 or contact Dr. Jeremy Fischer online.
What are the Symptoms of IBS?
IBS is characterized by a combination of the following symptoms:
- Bloating or abdominal pain
- Passage of mucus in the stool
- Altered bowel function, constipation or diarrhea
- Anxiety, depression
Coexisting conditions such as anxiety disorder, stress or insomnia can exacerbate the severity of your IBS symptoms.
What Causes IBS?
IBS is the result of an interplay of digestive secretion, bacterial flora and dietary factors. While the exact cause of IBS is not fully understood, the following factors have been shown to play a role in the development of IBS:
- Food allergies
- Low dietary fiber intake
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
- Yeast overgrowth (Candidiasis)
- High intake of refined sugars or carbohydrates
- Intolerance to lactose, fructose, sucrose and sorbitol
- Low probiotic (good bacteria) levels in the gut
- Impaired neurotransmission (low gut serotonin levels)
- High stress levels
How Is IBS Diagnosed?
Your healthcare provider can reach an IBS diagnosis if your recurrent abdominal pain has been present for at least three days per month during the preceding three months, accompanied by two or more of the following three symptoms:
- Relief with defecation
- Onset of symptoms occur with a change in stool consistency or appearance
- Onset of symptoms occur with a change in stool frequency
Because there are no physical signs or specific tests available to definitively diagnose IBS, diagnosis is often a process of ruling out other conditions. Therefore, a detailed medical history and physical examination are critical for properly diagnosing IBS.
If you are diagnosed with IBS, it will be classified as either diarrhea predominant (IBS-D), constipation predominant (IBS-C), or mixed form (IBS-M).
Holistic Treatment for IBS
The conventional treatment of IBS may include increasing fiber intake, stress reduction and the use of various medications (anti-spasmotics, anti-diarrheal agents, laxatives and anti-depressants). Many patients fail to find long-term relief with conventional therapy oftentimes because the major underlying causes of IBS, such as food allergy or SIBO, have been overlooked.
The gastrointestinal system is an ecosystem that can be negatively impacted by dietary factors, high stress levels, low levels of good bacteria, and medications such as anti-inflammatory drugs and antibiotics. As there is no single cause of IBS, examining each factor that impairs gut health can help get to the root cause of what is manifesting as IBS in you. The following includes a list of natural IBS treatment options that can improve gut health, including the immune system within the gut:
- Testing and eliminating allergenic/intolerant foods
- Increasing dietary fiber
- Eliminating refined sugar intake
- Testing for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
- Reducing dietary FODMAPs (fermentable oligo-, di-, and monosaccharides and polyols), a collection of food molecules that are often poorly absorbed in people with IBS
- Healing intestinal gut barrier permeability
- Testing and treatment for Candidiasis
- Taking probiotics to restore beneficial gut bacteria
- Taking digestive enzymes
- Taking other helpful GI health supplements including peppermint oil, licorice root and L-glutamine
- Taking turmeric root extract to help reduce inflammation
- Stress reduction therapy
- Acupuncture and moxibustion therapy
Your healthcare provider will help determine which holistic treatments for IBS will help target the underlying factors that drive your IBS symptoms, while also addressing dietary, physiological and psychological imbalances.
If you are experiencing pain and discomfort from IBS, don't delay in seeking holistic IBS treatment which can restore your health without the side effects common with traditional medical therapies and treatments. Call (424) 365-1800 or contact Dr. Jeremy Fischer online to get started today.
Vitality Integrative Medicine
Address4849 Van Nuys Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tue: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sat: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm