Natural Acne Treatment in Toluca Lake, CA
You would be hard-pressed to find anyone who has gone through puberty without experiencing at least one acne breakout. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, acne can affect up to 50 million Americans every year. Common complaints among people who are prone to pimples - especially those who experience adult acne - is the number of traditional acne treatments that they have tried without success, or that they have had to stop due to side effects.
If you have had those same complaints, you may be interested in natural remedies for acne, which are far less likely to result in unwanted side effects.
To schedule a consultation with a holistic dermatologist in Toluca Lake who specializes in natural acne treatment, call (424) 365-1800 or contact Dr. Jeremy Fischer online.
Traditional Acne Treatment
Due to it being a common ailment, there are many topical and oral treatments available to combat acne, and a newer form of treatment called light therapy is also gaining popularity. While these traditional treatments can be successful for some, they each have potential side effects.
Traditional Topical Acne Treatments
Traditional topical treatments for acne use chemicals to prevent the pore blockage that causes pimples. They are most commonly used on the face, but may also be applied to the neck, chest, and back.
There are several different topical therapies that use different methods of averting pore blockage. These include:
- Benzoyl peroxide, which acts as a skin antiseptic to decrease the growth of acne-causing bacteria
- Antibiotics, which target acne-causing bacteria
- Salicylic acid, which corrects abnormal shedding of skin cells
- Retinoids like tazarotene and retinoin, which work by affecting the growth of skin cells
- Corticosteroid injections, which have anti-inflammatory properties that shrink cystic nodules
Side effects of all of these topical treatments except for corticosteroid injections can include dry skin, redness, and an increased susceptibility to sunburn. Corticosteroid injections can cause scarring and discoloration.
Traditional Oral Acne Treatments
Like topical treatments, traditional oral treatments are aimed at preventing pimple formation by preventing pore blockage. Oral treatments for acne include:
- Antibiotics, which target acne-causing bacteria
- Birth control and spironolactone, which prevent hormonal changes that cause breakouts
- Isotretinoin (Accutane), which permanently shrinks oil glands and pores
While these treatments may be effective, especially for body acne, they may also cause unwanted side effects, some of which are severe. These include:
- Susceptibility to yeast and fungal infections (antibiotics)
- Weight gain (birth control)
- Decreased sex drive (birth control)
- Nausea (birth control)
- Stomach problems (spironolactone)
- Irregular periods (spironolactone)
- High blood pressure (Accutane)
- Vision problems (Accutane)
- Liver dysfunction (Accutane)
- Depression (Accutane)
- Severe birth defects (Accutane)
These are ordinarily prescribed to patients with moderate or severe acne, and Accutane is only prescribed for very severe acne. Oral treatments target pore blockage causes at the source by killing acne-causing bacteria and preventing hormone fluctuations or shrinking oil glands to prevent the skin from producing pore-blocking sebum.
Light therapy for acne uses certain wavelengths of blue or red light to kill acne-causing bacteria and shrink pores. This therapy may be effective for those who have not had success with other traditional acne treatments, but is not suitable for patients with sensitive skin or epilepsy. Side effects of light therapy can include redness, swelling, dryness, and changes in skin color.
Natural Acne Treatment
Considering all the side effects of traditional acne treatments, it is no surprise that many people who experience acne breakouts might turn to natural acne spot treatments. While the American Academy of Dermatology maintains that all-natural supplements to treat acne are not necessarily effective, many people who experience acne breakouts believe that these natural acne solutions can be effective.
Natural topical treatments for acne can include:
- Manuka honey, which may have an antibacterial effect on acne-causing bacteria
- Tea tree oil, bittersweet nightshade, and diluted apple cider vinegar may all have an antibacterial effect
- Tannins, which are natural astringents (substances that shrink pores), can be extracted from witch hazel, white oak, or English walnut bark
- Fruit acids, which can be used for a mild do-it-yourself chemical facial peel
- Aloe vera, which may have anti-inflammatory properties
- Green tea extract, which may prevent skin cells from releasing oil
- Clay-based masks and exfoliants, which may clear out pores
- Sulfur-containing masks, which may clear out pores and kill acne-causing bacteria
Natural oral treatments may include:
- Zinc supplements; zinc can assist in wound healing and may reduce inflammation of acne pimples
- Vitex, a whole-fruit extract that is thought to combat premenstrual acne
- Brewer’s yeast, which may have antimicrobial effects
- Reducing or removing food from your diet that cause a rapid increase in blood sugar (high glycemic index foods), as they have been associated with acne breakouts
Each natural substance used for natural topical or oral acne treatment has their own unique healing properties. Some of these therapies, such as the masks, are meant for facial acne, but an oral treatment or a soap containing ingredients like tea tree oil or green tea extract may provide the right natural body acne treatment for you. It is important to note that even organic acne treatments may cause adverse effects, so it is important to discuss any supplements you may consider taking with your physician.
Request Your Appointment Today
If you have tried traditional methods to clear your skin but remain unsatisfied, it may be time to try an all-natural acne treatment.
To meet with a holistic skin care specialist in Toluca Lake who can recommend the best natural acne remedy for you, call (424) 365-1800 or contact Dr. Jeremy Fischer online.
Vitality Integrative Medicine
Address4849 Van Nuys Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tue: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sat: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm